Book Review: Karan Johar's "An Unsuitable Boy"

12:52:00

This was the first biography that I read (after the Diary of Anne Frank, that is) and although I got some unnecessary judgments about wanting to read about Karan Johar's life of all people (by Bollywood haters), I am glad that I did. 





Brief Summary: 

This book is a peep through the iconic Bollywood director's life. From his personal to professional life, he takes you on a walk down memory lane. You learn about his insecurities and difficult experiences while growing up in the most honest and raw form possible. He's candid and talks about his fallout with Kajol, his friendships with Adi, Apoorva, Shahrukh, his effeminate mannerisms and sexual orientation. He's straightforward and not afraid of sounding petty. He talks about life in Bollywood and how different crucial episodes in his life helped in making him THE Karan Johar. His self-depreciation gives a humble feel to his narration.This book is bound to change your opinion of him as a frivolous celebrity!

My Review: 

I am a die-hard fan of Karan Johar's movies KKHH and K3G. I also enjoy Koffee with Karan (more than I probably should) and hence I was super intrigued to read this book. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The peculiar thing is how there were many parts of the book that I could strongly relate to, especially when he talks about adulthood and relationships. 

While he gives you insight on many controversies that surround him, he leaves the reader wanting more. I felt that there were details that he was leaving out in order to be politically correct. The book felt like a conversation with Karan. 

The one thing I did NOT like about the book was the lack of editing. One could clearly identify the monotonous repetition is subsequent paragraphs. Had the book been edited properly, it would have given a better reading experience. 

My Recommendation

I would definitely recommend this book to all Bollywood fans, especially those who have grown up watching DDLJ, KKHH and K3G. A quick and pleasant read. 

Rating





You can buy Karan Johar's "An Unsuitable Boy" here

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. hopefully i get to by his book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy the general feel of it!

      Delete

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository