Book Review: It Ends With Us

10:25:00

This is my first Colleen Hoover book and I am already in love with her writing style. So much so that I have instantly picked up a second title by her, "Ugly Love". I wonder how I missed out on her work all these years!



It Ends With Us had been on my TBR* since a long time. My cousin happened to have a digital copy and hesitantly (I am not fond of e-books), I picked it up. Following is my spoiler-free review of the book:

Brief Summary

Lily moved to Boston from a small town in Maine where she grew up. She faced many difficulties growing up but was resilient enough to work hard and fulfill her dreams. When she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true. However, as perfect as he seems, he's completely opposed to serious relationships, unlike Lily who dreams of uniting with her soulmate one day. 
As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan - her first love and a link to the past she left behind. 


SOMETIMES THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU IS THE ONE WHO HURTS YOU THE MOST....

My Review

I don't know if I have mentioned this before but I find too much romance and mushiness repulsive. You know when the book is only about how perfect the love interest is? It get's too unrealistic. That's how I felt in the first quarter of "It Ends With Us" and I was preparing myself for disappointment since I had been following the hype around the book since a few months! Colleen Hoover has an engaging way with words which was the only reason (thankfully!) that kept me going. 

Lo and behold, a few turns of events and the book became un-put-down-able! The story addresses a bold and personal subject from the author's childhood. Not only must she be applauded for her bravery for putting it out there, one must commend the way she has described it. So heart-wrenching and even relatable for many unfortunate families that experience such traumatic situations (I'm afraid any more details and I'll end up giving spoilers). 



The story had me thoroughly captivated and was gut wrenching till the very end. The book earned a bonus point because of Lily's admiration of the inspirational Ellen Degeneres (yes, I share that interest with a fictional character and am proud of it)

Recommendation

This one is recommended to all fans of contemporary fiction. If you want an emotional but brilliantly written book, "It Ends With Us" should be your next read. It deals with real life issues and how to tackle them practically. 


Favourite Quotes:

“Fifteen seconds. That’s all it takes to completely change everything about a person. Fifteen.”

“I’ll keep pretending to swim, when really all I’m doing is floating. Barely keeping my head above water.”

“You can stop swimming now, Lily. We finally reached the shore.”


Rating:

Accurately, it would be around 4.75 for me because of the extra mushiness. 


You can buy the book here (they have free international delivery!)

*TBR stands for To Be Read in the books world!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository