Studying Abroad- With Adventures come (Initial) Challenges!

22:54:00

If you haven't read my post, "Studying Abroad and Fulbright - Quick Overview of the Fantastic Experiences (so far)", head there first and read this one as a sort of continuation. 

In this post, I aim to cover a few pointers (and warnings) for those of you who plan to study abroad, particularly in the US as a graduate student; and also, some (light-hearted) myth-busters about the fantasies we usually have about PARDES. 






Pre- Departure

Start making lists months in advance. I made a couple of them and yet found myself amidst chaos in the last few days.  Here are a few things that I feel really helped me, regardless of everyone telling me 'sab kuch mil jata hai wahan':


  • bedsheets
  • towels
  • medicines (for anything and everything)
  • spices (yes, I would laugh about this, then ended up getting a stock and guess what? Bringing the basic masalay from Pakistan has really helped!)
  • A small pot/pan, a plate, glass and utensils to use in the first few days
  • instant noodles and other snacks 
  • bathroom slippers
  • Your handcarry should ideally have, apart from the obvious documents, electronics and cash: a pair of fresh clothes (and undergarments/socks), a sweater or shawl (airplanes and airports sometimes get really chilly) and a night suit along with immediate use toiletries; in case your luggage is delayed (like mine), you'll have a backup. Oh also, neck pillows and compression socks are undervalued - they're the best for long haul flights!
Things I wish I had brought: 
  • Umbrella (it rains sometimes even when it's not in the forecast)
  • Iron (even though the voltage and all is a different issue)
Day(s) of Travel 

Try not to have too much to carry. Put as much as you can in a carry-on trolley bag or backpack. I had a gazillion items and I ended up forgetting one thing or the other when I would go to the bathroom or stand at a counter (in my defense, I had five flights - I was bound to lose my mind at some point).

Drink lots and lots of water. Try to catch up on sleep on the flights. If you have layovers, walk around and explore the airports to stay alert and awake. Try to enjoy each moment - you're starting a new chapter - make it memorable! Recording everything kept my sanity and homesickness in check (still is).  

First Month: Challenges

Technically I can speak of the first 3 weeks only, but you get the gist. A lot of what I will discuss below might seem relevant to those who will be taking up off-campus housing in smaller towns in the US but of course, some challenges are universal. 

1. Plastic Money has taken over!
You might feel a bit frustrated if you don't use a credit card because paper money is nearly obsolete here and you need a credit card for everything (Uber, Amazon, Hotels). I tried using my Pakistani debit card wherever I could but this should be your last resort because I still have some amount blocked on it and well. I had trouble getting a ride from the airport (asked a friend then), couldn't order myself basic furniture such as a mattress from online stores and physical stores were sold out! So either bring a credit card OR be prepared. 

2. Stop taking Muslim showers for granted 
Bottles and jugs/mugs are just not the same guys. I have heard of bidets that can be installed but I haven't come around to it yet. Even if you are to get one in the house, it is a PAIN if you need to use the loo anywhere else. Sigh.

3. Say bye-bye to luscious locks and radiating skin
Yes. Biggest myth: FOREIGN ka paani tau jadu kar day ga. My hair is falling in bunches, it never feels clean regardless of how much I shampoo or condition it. I have never experienced such bad acne, even in my ugly tween/early teenage. My skin constantly feels icky. 

4. Loadshedding wali feels
I still haven't cracked the mystery behind this but for some reason, there are no built-in lights in bedrooms and living rooms - there are plenty in closets but NONE in rooms. So you have to get used to lamps - and if you're a desi like me and miss tubelights (I just can't study/work in yellow lights!), then get yourself "Daylight bulbs". 

5. Who said Islamabad sleeps early?
I just cannot get used to the eerie silence here past 7pm. Shops close early, people retire to their homes early, the roads are dark and deserted; Islamabad is not as sunsaan as this; I really would like to see the reaction of Isb haters, the Karachiites and Lahoris, in places like Amherst! 

6. Get ready for some heavy-lifting
While it is quite admirable, the fact that this is such an independent society can be quite cumbersome, especially for anyone with a back problem or something similar. First off, since I was presented with a unique set of accommodation problems, I had to haul my luggage to three different places in one week. So basically, loading them on to one car, taking them off, carrying them up and down stairs and repeat. Furniture or grocery (fyi, chaawal ki bori kafi bhaari hoti hai), you have to do it yourself (I did have some wonderful people help me out where they could.)

7. Adulting is hard
Settling in has been tedious and time/money consuming. I am now 75% set and pausing here because I honestly don't have the energy but here is a list of some basic everyday items that I had not given much thought to before moving into an empty house:


  • trashcans (room, bathroom, kitchen)
  • garbage bags
  • vacuum cleaner
  • pillows
  • toilet paper/tissue
  • ten types of cleaning detergents (dish soap, laundry, floors, counters etc) 
  • strainer (for rice and noodles) 
  • toaster
  • laundry bag/basket
  • a grocery trolley (portable - life saver)
  • storage boxes (i got many but still falling short)
  • jars for the kitchen
  • takeaway boxes (for leftovers)
  • and the list goes on... 
8. Far off shopping options 
I find it most inconvenient that the grocery and department stores like Walmart and Stop and Shop are all a bus ride away (or 2) and it is such a hassle going to them in one go!

9.Ready to be a Masterchef?
Eating out daily is not an option, especially if you eat Halal. Seafood/vegetarian options become monotonous and you start craving desi food within days. Your best bet is to cook yourself. Honestly, cooking has a therapeutic touch to it - but the groceries are never-ending! And then making something as simple as daal chawal is a true test of patience!



9. Culture shock/homesickness 
I didn't really have much of a culture shock but I started missing talking in Urdu - moun thak jata hai angrezi mein barh barh kartay kartay. Also, it is VERY easy to fall into the homesickness rut, especially because it gets very quiet and lonely and timings hardly match ( I have managed to work around this one though) so find yourself a solace to avoid those feelings altogether- for me, blogging has helped a lot. 

These were most of my challenges which were accompanied by having a missing window for ten days (guess who had a ball trying to save her room from rainwater?), absurd sleeping arrangements till my own mattress arrived, missing the bus or sitting on the wrong one and getting drenched in the rain because any shop that sells an umbrella was too out of reach!
The towel was stuffed in by maintenance staff and  I had to stick the pillow plastic bags to save my room from the rain!

Scary list huh? Don't worry - you'll survive it. It is best to be as prepared as you can be but I feel these hiccups only add to my adventure- which has only begun!


Plugging in some settling in videos that might entertain you: 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository