Studying Abroad and Fulbright - Quick Overview of the Fantastic Experiences (so far)

22:49:00

Anyone who's been following my social media for the past month is probably up to date with what this post is about. In case you don't know - then here's a brief summary: I am currently in the US pursuing an M.Ed in Child Study and Early Education (Yup - FINALLY !!) from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst as a Fulbright Scholar (and again - FINALLY!) and honestly the past few weeks have been insane, to say the least.





While it sometimes still feels like a dream, this post is to appreciate and share some of the great things I have experienced this far. I am truly very grateful that Allah chose me to be here and live all these adventures (amidst the challenges). Here goes:

1. The Professors and Courses for this term

I never thought I would actually enjoy and be eager to participate in classes! So much so that I feel my peers might start thinking of me as the know-it-all. I can't help engaging in class discussions though. Loving the content of the classes, possibly because Early Childhood is so so dear to me. This first term, I have Anthropology of Childhood, Inclusive Classroom: Application and Child Development.  All three are taught by such learned but humble professors. They are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and respectful! There are a lot of readings and homework btw and well, it has been slightly tough coming back into studying mode after seven years, that too in a different country but fingers crossed. Let's hope I manage to pass now (IA)!



2. The Library on Campus




This stunning structure, the W.E.B Du Bois Library is the third tallest library in the world. I haven't been able to figure out if it carries fiction (probably not) but I love it more for the many options it has for studying - different floors have different seating options, computers, printers, group study rooms, anything and everything you might need for a comfortable studying environment. I absolutely love it - it actually makes me want to study and I get less distracted than I usually would at home!

3. The Recreation Center

Very unlikely of me but I actually make the effort of enrolling in different fitness classes and going at least 3 to 4 times a week! And it's a big deal because reaching the place takes me about 20mins (bus and walk). There are so many things you can take part in - I had to get a membership and I am not regretting it one bit. Weights, cardio machines, basketball and badminton courts as well as Zumba, yoga, pilates, and other fitness classes - what more could one ask for? Can someone please make sure I am regular though? (laughsss)


4. Diversity and Friendliness 

In these three weeks, I have met and engaged in fun conversations with some wonderful people from all parts of the world. People are generally very helpful and smiling - I don't hesitate to ask questions and just feel much more confident overall. So far, I have felt zero judgments when it comes to my appearance or dressing and that is honestly such a breath of fresh air - I am trying to make the most of it!

5. A Public Library

While I hear there are others around the town, I am the happiest because I have discovered a quaint little library at a 5 minutes walk from my place!! I think I have found my ticket to a healthy supply of fiction books !!


6. It's Quiet but it's GORGEOUS

Amherst is a little too quiet for me but it is definitely breathtaking. My everyday commute to the university allows me to pause and admire the beauty of this town at every step.



Stay tuned for more updates and please remember me in your prayers always - may this journey help me make my mother proud inshaAllah!

Part 2 where I list some of the challenges I faced in the first month can be found here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository