Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- The Eighth Story?

11:25:00

So it took me some time (and courage) to pick this book up and read it. Why? I was reallllly looking forward to it and then a lot of people said its not the same at all, and a lot said its worth it.. I was basically scared of ruining the perfect Harry Potter ending.. And well.. To be honest, I have mixed emotions towards this book.. before I can share my opinion.. let me briefly write what this book is about.. NO SPOILERS I promise :) 


Brief Summary: 

The story picks off nineteen years after Voldemort's defeat; Harry works in the Ministry of Magic and has three children with Ginny: James Sirius, Albus Severus and Lily Luna (The names get slightly confusing at some points in the book, at least I felt that way!). The story primarily revolves around Harry's middle child, Albus; we get to relive the entire newbie Hogwarts journey beginning from our very own Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station on to the Hogwarts Express and yes the infamous Sorting Hat makes an appearance. 
Albus instantly befriends Scorpius Malfoy, son of Draco Malfoy, and this friendship doesn't get the approval of many. Let's not forget Ron and Hermione have two children: Rose and Hugo Granger-Weasley but they don't play very central characters in the entire story. 


The first three years at Hogwarts are not as exciting for Albus as one would assume; he is unpopular and likes to lurk behind in the shadows and over time his relationship with his father gets very tensed as Albus feels that he is not living up to the Potter legacy. 

The story is basically about an adventure that Albus and Scorpius set out on, trying to make themselves useful is some way. I will stop here before my dear Potterheads get angry!


My Review: 



Okay in one phrase: its just NOT the same. Having said that, let me explain. This book is NOT a novel, it's a play script hence it lacks the MANY beautiful details of a Harry Potter story that would instantly make you feel like you were a part of the wizarding world; even though important places like the Forbidden Forest, Privet Drive, Hogwarts Castle, Ministry of Magic etc are mentioned, I had to solely rely on my previous knowledge of these to get the feel of it all. 

Secondly, it is not written by J.K. Rowling; the story is hers but the playwrights are John Tiffany and Jack Thorne. It's a great effort indeed (and I have heard that the play itself is magnificent) but it does not feel like the original series because it lacks the Rowling wordings. 

Thirdly, I did, however, enjoy being taken back to Potterworld and feel the magic (as much as I could). The highlight is the newly introduced characters, that are few but praiseworthy and some new details of our favourites from the past such as Dumbledore and Snape (always <3). 

The best thing is that it does not alter the previous installments in any way and the reader doesn't have to feel that Harry Potter has been ruined (if one doesn't like the eighth book). I feel that it wasn't a needed addition to the series but it doesn't qualify as the eight story; it qualifies as a side-book or something along the lines. 

Recommendation?

I would definitely recommend it to everyone, especially my fellow Potterheads; its worth a shot and its also a very quick read! Read it like a play script and don't go in with too many expectations and you will be good to go! 

Rating:




I hope this helps and I look forward to your comments regarding this review! :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I wasn't gonna read it but I will after your recommendation. If it turns out to be awful: I. WILL. SMACK. You.

    ReplyDelete

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository