Book Review: A Heartbeat by Rabiya Ashraf

05:11:00

This great shot's courtesy goes to Hira Amjad (click the picture to follow her work on Instagram!)



Rabiya is one of the most amazing human beings I have met in my life and I am absolutely delighted to be able to write this review of her book today! Before I begin, let me just say that I am so proud of you for doing this and know that you have really really inspired me! 



A Heartbeat is a sensational collection of a 17 year old's conversations with and about her mom. Written in the form of a diary-cum-biography, the author takes us on an emotional roller-coaster depicting the turmoil of a family member diagnosed with cancer and the tragic aftermath of losing a parent. This compelling memoir consisting of letters, poems and accounts of her internal conversations is bound to leave readers overwhelmed with emotion and inspiration. 


PC: Hira Amjad. The gorgeous cover has been illustrated by Zainab Riaz!
The gorgeous cover was illustrated by Zainab Riaz, PC: Hira Amjad

A beautiful mother-daughter relationship may be the central idea of A Heartbeat but witnessing real life challenges faced by the father-child, husband-wife, sibling and friend relationships gives readers a holistic experience. Moreover, it reflects on the ups and downs of an individual's connection with God. The reader feels the joy and comfort of hope as well as the gut-wrenching pain of loss simultaneously; courtesy of Rabiya's flawless descriptions. 

Rabiya's story really hit the right spot for me. Having lost my mother to cancer at the age of 18, I could relate word to word with what she has penned down. Loss of a parent, especially a mother, at such a young age changes your perspective about life completely. Which is why I will repeat that I am extremely proud of Rabiya for having the courage to come forward and share her story. It might seem like a rather easy thing to do, but believe me, it is not. Publishing a personal narrative of your pain while reliving the bittersweet memories is truly commendable! 

And it is my pleasure to announce that A Heartbeat's kindle version is now available on Amazon! Head on and get your copy now!! 

I urge you to go check out:

A Heartbeat on: GoodreadsFacebook and Instagram
Hira's bookstagram: @readers.nook
Zainab's work: Moonworld




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository